Thursday, April 8, 2010

10 Pounds in 28 Days

I just had to tell you. I changed my eating habits on March 10th and so far, I've lost 10.5 pounds. I'm not dieting. And I'm not starving myself. What I am doing is this:

- drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily
- limiting my calorie intake to 1800 daily
- eating something healthy every 3-4 hrs
- not denying myself anything
- am taking smaller portions especially sweets
- weighing myself every 3-4 days
- using motivators on my iTouch to keep track of my water intake, calories and weight loss

My Easter bunny with Toffee is still sitting near my spot at the table because I just haven't felt like eating it. If I do want it, it'll be there waiting for me. I know that if I have one small bite, I'll want to eat the whole thing and I'm not willing to put myself through that. I also haven't touched the cookie jar for the same reason. But, I have eaten desserts and sweets when I wanted them. I just ate a smaller portion and drank lots of water to go with it.

I'm also exercising but only once or twice a week. These last 2 wks, I didn't do them at all. I want to - because my clothes are getting loose and I need to firm up - but I needed to get my contest entries out before and now I need to get my book rewritten and wrapped.

So, we'll see how I do. I've registered for the Romance Writers of America conference in Nashville in July and want to feel comfortable while flying. As well as being able to spend time sightseeing while I'm there. Which means I'm going to be a busy little beaver during these next couple months, but that's okay too because I need all the help I can get.

By the way, one adverse effect about losing the weight is that I'm always cold. Always. Used to be I could go outside when it was below freezing and not wear a coat. Now I'm packing on the sweaters in the house. Weird, eh?

And here's something else weird... everyone keeps saying you need extreme cold for a sun dog to appear. Well, here's a pic of one I took in the Home Depot parking lot a couple nights ago. Not sure what it was all about but the temp was around 10c/50F. Now that I think about it though, the Northern lights made a rare appearance a few hours later as we were driving home. You think there was something in the air?


8 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo, Anita! Well done - keep it up!

    And good luck with those rewrites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Anita! That is so wonderful.
    Bummer is, I think I've found those 10 lbs on me. I've gained that much since the beginning of the year. I'm thinking it's because of late night snacking as I've been dealing with different hours with little Guppy.
    I must try what you are doing. It sounds much easier and much more healthy too.
    Happy re-writes. Looking forward to reading your work in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Anita! I'm trying hard to shed the pounds I put on over the winter (they feel like the same pounds that I spent months losing beginning about this time last year!)

    And so we go, round and round. Unlike you, I got the crazy notion that I had to eat all the Easter candy before I started so I wouldn't be tempted -- something really wrong with that thought.

    My humble guess is that sun dogs have something to do with a change in the weather, so might it be the approaching Alberta weather system?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janet. I appreciate the encouragement. :)

    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Deb, don't be too hard on yourself. Having a baby puts a lot of stress on you and the most important thing is to keep Guppy happy so he'll get a good head start. Just don't do what I did... I didn't even try to go to my pre-pregnancy weight after the boys were born.

    And so far, it is easy. I'm thinking it's because I want it so bad but truthfully, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all. But then I've always loved fruit and I'm blessed to be able to have such an abundance - even if it is trucked in from everywhere else. :)

    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helena, the reason I didn't start eating healthier in Jan was because I kept thinking Valentines Day was coming and then it'd all go to pot. Then after V-Day, I told myself wait until after Easter. But at the beginning of March, I realized I'd never start if I kept making stupid excuses.

    I'm actually beginning to think this is sort of like smoking. I quit umpteen times over the years but it wasn't until I decided I'd had enough that I was able to quit for good.

    Same here. I'm looking at that bunny and instead of wanting the chocolate, I'm NOT wanting the calories. A different POV.

    You may be right about the sun dog. Although we don't have any precipitation, that wind is howling something ferocious out there tonight. And I heard friends in town calling for rain or snow. Considering it's blowing from the west... it's those 4 strong winds coming here from Ian's place across the border. LOL

    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo!!! So proud of you!!!

    Didn't know this was going on!!!!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks, Patti.

    You didn't know because I didn't tell anyone. Every other time I've dieted and they didn't work very long. And because I'm not 'dieting' this time, I decided to keep quiet until I knew it worked.

    And the only reason you know now is because I'm so thrilled that I can't keep quiet about it! LOL

    Nice to see you here.

    ReplyDelete

Come on, tell me what you think...