Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Owl Sightings




On January 9th while on my way to town, I caught sight of two ravens land near an owl in a copse of trees. After pulling to the side of the road, I reached for my camera in time to see the ravens fly at the Great Horned Owl as if trying to scare it off. After taking a few fly-pasts, they settled in a nearby tree.

Great Horned Owl and Common Ravens, South of Montmartre, SK, January 2018. Source: Anita Mae Draper

A while later, after finishing my errands and heading back to the farm, I pulled over when I passed the same copse of trees and can only assume it was the same Great Horned Owl perched high, with nary a raven in sight.


Great Horned Owl in Trees, South of Montmartre, SK, January 2018. Source: Anita Mae Draper


At least it look like an owl, but I had to zoom in to confirm it. He gave me the eye and then flew down to a lower branch. Due to the distance and wind pushing air currents between my camera and the owl my photos aren't the best, but they're clear enough to see his ears tufts pinned back. I'm not sure about owls, but in a horse it means he's getting ticked off.


Great Horned Owl, South of Montmartre, SK, January 2018. Source: Anita Mae Draper


On January 18th while out and about Nelson also caught sight of a Great Horned Owl, although he couldn't get a clear image could considering the wind and low light level of the early morning.


Great Horned Owl, South of Montmartre, SK, January 2018. Source: Nelson Draper

People are spotting a record number of Snowy Owls this winter of 2017-2018, especially around the Saskatoon area of the province. I haven't seen any this winter, yet Nelson has sighted a few while out and about, including this one on January 31st. It was out in a field and near the end of his camera's focal range, but it's the first one he's been able to capture as proof that they're in our area, too.

Snowy Owl, Southeastern Saskatchewan, January 2018. Source: Nelson Draper

And then on February 1st, he managed to photograph this Snowy Owl female on a hydro pole in the same Southeastern Sask area as the one above in the field. Perhaps it was even the same one.

Snowy Owl female, Southeastern Saskatchewan, February 2018. Source: Nelson Draper


Since we're talking owls, I'll show you pics of a Snowy Owl male, that I saw back in Nov 2015 but never posted on this blog yet. The owl was very cooperative and turned his head completely around so I could take some pics. In the first photo he's looking back, so we see the back of his head...


Snowy Owl, South of  Montmartre, SK, November 2015. Source: Anita Mae Draper

and then he turns and tells me to leave...


Snowy Owl, South of  Montmartre, SK, November 2015. Source: Anita Mae Draper


If you like owls, you might like our post on the Great Horned Owl who came to visit outside my office window last August.


Pins for the above images in this post can be viewed on my Photos: Birds Pinterest board.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, tell me what you think...